Monday 26 November 2012

MFP Sneak Peek! Extra sets Oh Deer and Winter Scenes.


Hi Everyone.  With the blog hop featuring the main stamp sets starting tomorrow, some of the DT members including myself are featuring the extra sets being released this month.  The extra sets include the mini set you get free when you purchase the four main sets, and the special fifth set.

I'll show you the mini set first which is called 'Oh Deer!'


This is a really cute set that could be used for birthday cards, masculine cards, and even Christmas cards.  Here is what I came up with:


I decided to make a money holder card which I've never done before but was really easy.  When I make square cards I don't like to make them any bigger than 4.25" square, as that size will still fit into an A2 sized envelope so you don't have to pay extra postage.  For this reason I started with a piece of card stock in kraft sized at 11" by 4.25".  Using my scoring board I scored the piece at 4.25" and 8.5" leaving a small flap at the end that was 2.5" wide. The small flap I bent up and glued to the inside of the card to make a pocket.  It was really easy and I don't know why it never occurred to me to do this before.


Once I had my base I chose some patterns and washi tape to coordinate, and I decided to paper piece the deer. I heat embossed the deer on a salmony-beige sheet from the same patterned paper pack and trimmed it out, then added a bit of light brown marker to give the image definition.


I cut down the patterns, adhered them together, added some washi tape and twine, and stamped my sentiment.  Once I adhered the panel to the front of the card I added the deer with foam squares.


For the middle of the card I added a panel of kraft matted with pattern and washi tape to the pocket, then I stamped two sentiments, one above the pocket and on the pocket.  I really like how it turned out!  The pocket is plenty big enough for a dollar bill or a gift card.

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:

  1. Paper Playtime - Anything Goes
  2. Deep Ocean - Pastel Colours
  3. Pile it On - Anything but a Christmas card

The second stamp set I think may be my favourite of all the stamp sets this month.  This is because the images are so pretty, and the holiday sentiments are so versatile   I love stamp sets that you can get lots of mileage out of.  It's called 'Winter Scenes':


I showed you a card yesterday using this set, you can find my post here.  I also came up with the following:


I started with the ornament image, stamped and heat embossed on watercolour paper.  I water coloured the centre image using dye based markers and trimmed it out.  I then stamped my ornament with Staz On onto the shimmery pattern and trimmed it out.  The image was foam taped on to the ornament, then I punched a hole in the top and added some ribbon.



With the focal point complete I made the rest of my card.  I love the pink in the paper as it is a colour not expected for a Christmas card.  For this reason I chose a pink card base, and some kraft as an accent.  I trimmed the card stock and pattern down to the sizes I wanted, rounded the corners and assembled my main panel.  After adding some ribbon I adhered the panel to the card base.



For the centre panel I added some faux stitching with my white gel pen and a ruler, rounded the corners and adhered it over the ribbon with foam squares.  The ornament was foam taped to the smaller panels, and I added some glue dots behind the bow to keep it in place.  A rhinestone to the biggest star finished the card front.


The centre is decorated with a sentiment stamped on kraft, matted with more shimmery pattern.  I like the addition of more faux stitching as it mirrors the front of the card.  I love this card, one of my favourites this month!

I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:

  1. Pause Dream Enjoy - Anything Goes
  2. Daring Cardmakers - Twinkle Twinkle
  3. Allsorts - Bring on the Bling
  4. Hiding in my Craftroom - Christmas
  5. Christmas Card Challenges - Paper Piecing

These sets are so pretty and will be available in the Marks Finest Papers Store tomorrow.  The blog hop also starts tomorrow so make sure you stop by to join in the fun!


Here are the supplies I used to make my cards:


Card using Oh Deer:

Card Stock:  Neenah Desert Storm, My Mind's Eye Indie Chic Citron.

Stamps:  Marks Finest Papers Oh Deer

Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Creamy Brown.

Embossing Powder:  Martha Stewart Clear Gloss

Markers:  Bic Mark Its Tiki Hut Tan, Cloud Nine Grey, Copic W3, 0

Embellishments:  May Arts Jute Twine, My Mind's Eye Indie Chic tape.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, Scotch Quick Dry, foam squares.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Martha Stewart scoring board, Ranger Blending Tool, heat tool.


Card using Winter Scenes:

Card Stock:  Stampin' Up!  Rich Razzleberry, Neenah Desert Storm, KI Memories Festive Baubels

Stamps:  Mark's Finest Papers Winter Scenes

Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Staz On Jet Black

Embossing Powder:  Martha Stewart Clear Gloss

Markers:  Stampin' Up!  Stampin' Write Brilliant Blue, Bordering Blue, Always Artichoke, Real Red, Sakura Gelly Roll White.

Embellishments:  Scrappin' Supplies Rhinestones, ribbon from stash.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, foam squares, glue dots.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Martha Stewart scoring board, We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper, We R Memory Keepers Crop-A-Dile, heat tool.

7 comments:

  1. Both cards are fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at Paper Playtime and Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are wonderful!!Lovely!
    Thanks for joining us at PDE Challenges.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    PDE DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the new sets - beautiful cards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the ornament card with nice scenery image added. Thanks for entering Pause Dream Enjoy Anything Goes challenge.
    Melissa
    “Sunshine HoneyBee”
    PDE DT Group B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these look great! Fun, fun papers on your deer card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cathy, I like this project.
    I like a lot.
    Thank you to take part in Deep Ocean challenge Blog.
    Big hugs, Manu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done money holder card. It has a lovely mix of patterns. thanks for sharing it with us at Pile it On.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)