Monday 5 November 2012

Craft Your Passion #135 Hexagons

Another Monday has rolled around so its time for another Craft Your Passion Challenge.  This week we are asking you to use hexagons on your project. As it happens, I love hexagons, so I had fun making this week's card:


I started with the really cute image from The Paper Shelter called "Cockatoo Rules".  The Paper Shelter images are great because the include a blank one along with one already coloured, and since I really liked the colours they used on the image I decided to use the coloured one.  I then found a piece of this hexagon paper from a Pink Paislee Mistables pack, and blended some chalk inks to coordinate with the picture. Finally I added a bit of bronze shimmer mist for interest.


Once the patterned paper was inked to my liking, I matted it with some kraft and added washi tape and ribbon.  This panel was adhered to the card and then I printed the selected image on kraft, trimmed it down and corner rounded the edges.  The edges were inked with green, then brown, then matted on green card stock.  I foam taped the piece over the ribbon.


The sentiment was stamped on more kraft also inked with green and brown, then I added some glitter pen to the sentiment and the image.  The sentiment was foam taped onto the card front, then I added some green buttons to the card front that had been threaded with jute twine.


Lastly I stamped the 'party' stamp on kraft, added some glitter to the image, and trimmed it out.   The piece was foam taped in the appropriate spot. Once the entire card was finished I added some Glossy accents to the party bubble, to the cockatoo's glasses, and to the headlight on the motor bike.  Of course its important to do this step after the inside is finished so that you don't touch the Glossy Accents by accident (I could be speaking from experience, lol), then you leave your project in a flat spot overnight to dry.  It takes a while but its so worth it.  I did end up getting a few air bubbles on the 'party' embellishment but I still think it turned out ok.  Glossy Accents takes practice!


For the centre of the card I matted some inked kraft with brown card stock and stamped my sentiments in brown ink.  I added some glitter pen to the letters and stars, then adhered the panel to the inside of the card.


This was such a fun card to make!  I love playing with ink and my hands were definitely colourful by the time I was done. :)

Now its your turn! Simply make your project featuring hexagons and go back to Craft Your Passion Challenges by Sunday November 11th to link it up. There are more prizes up for grabs so make sure you go back to the blog to check them out!

And don't forget to visit the members of the DT!  They have some lovely hexagon projects on display so go enjoy them and don't forget to leave a comment!  :)

I used the following products to make my card:

Card Stock:  Stampin' Up!  Old Olive, Neenah Desert Storm, Solar White, Pink Paislee Mistables.

Stamps:  Digital - The Paper Shelter Cockatoo Rules.  Clear - KI Memories Party Icons.

Ink:  Stampin' Up!  Chocolate Chip, Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Olive Pastel, Pumpkin Spice, Lipstick Red, Chestnut Roan, Lime Pastel, Yellow Ochre.

Mists:  Shimmerz Paints Heavy Metal, Mister Huey Manilla

Embellishments:  Buttons from stash, Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Star pen, My Mind's Eye Indie Chic Washi Tape, May Arts Jute Twine, ribbon from stash.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, foam squares, glue dots, glossy accents.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Martha Stewart Score board, Ranger craft mat, Ranger blending tool.


I would like to enter my project into the following challenges:
  1. Party Time Tuesday - Anything Goes
  2. My Mum's Craft Shop - Bright and Bold
  3. One Crazy Stamper - Anything Goes
  4. Allsorts - For Men Only
  5. Pile it On - Make it Sparkle

7 comments:

  1. What a really great fun image Cathy.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your inspiration on the One Crazy Stamper challenge this month. Cheers, Lora Sinkler-Lake One Crazy Stamper

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab fun card x
    Thanks for playing along with us this week at MMCS challenge & good luck x
    ((hugs)) Suzie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cute! Love your coloring and the cute image! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the chalk inked background. The blending is beautiful. Great idea to add the Glossy Acents to the glasses, headlight, and party sign. The tape and button details are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute cute card! Thanks for joining us at One Crazy Stamper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully blended background!! Love all the elements you've put together. Great card.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)