Friday 9 November 2012

Happy Birthday To Me!!! And the MFP Fall card swap.

Hi Everyone!  Today is my birthday and to celebrate I was going to show you a birthday card I'd made, but I didn't have time to make one. For that reason I thought I'd show you some cards I made for the Fall Card Swap at MFP Speedy TV.  Its really fun because you send 4 cards made with an MFP set, and you get back 3 different card and an MFP set.  What's better than that?

As you can tell by the title the swap theme is 'fall' so as I was thinking of what to do for my swap cards I had remembered a card I had forgotten to post about:


I actually had the idea to make this card for the October blog hop as it uses one of the October sets - this one is called Autumn Splendor - but I didn't get it done on time, and then I didn't get around to posting it by itself.  It's too bad as I really like this one, and it isn't difficult to put together.  When I was thinking of a an idea for a fall themed card that I could make multiples of this is the one I thought of.  Here are the ones I made for the swap:


You can see how similar they are, but there are subtle differences.  This is because I didn't have enough of the supplies I used to make the first card to replicate four times.  Instead of the chocolate brown patterned paper on the first one, I substituted dry embossed chocolate card stock.  I also used different brands of coloured card stock, but the stuff I found in my stash is close enough.  On the swap card I used a different embossing folder on the orange that would better coordinate with the embossing folder I used on the chocolate brown piece.  Also, I didn't have any of the brown leaf ribbon left, or the narrow chocolate brown, so on the swap card I substituted some wider brown ribbon, green leaves, and instead of layering another colour of ribbon I just used twine.  I like the new version just as much!  Here they are side by side for comparison:


The one on the left is the original, the one on the right the new version.  I like the new version because the colours are slightly brighter, although I do like the pattern on the first.  When I water coloured the image on the second card I made the colours brighter without realizing it.  It worked out really well!

With the original card I didn't decorate the inside, but since the swap cards were going to others I didn't want leave them undone.  This is what I came up with:


There are two different colours, because I used what was leftover from the front of the card.  On the original card I was using a 6x6 pack, on the second group of cards I was using 12x12 sheets. I didn't have enough left to make the mats all the same colour so instead of cutting into a new sheet two cards had orange centres  two cards had green centres.  Waste not, want not, lol!  :)


Here are the supplies I used for my original card:

Card Stock:  Neenah Desert Storm, Fancy Pants Summers End 6x6 pad.

Stamp: Marks Finest Papers Autumn Splendor.

Ink:  Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Creamy Brown, Chestnut Roan, Stampin' Up!  Chocolate Chip.

Markers:  Stampin' Up! Stampin' Write Markers Chocolate Chip, Always Artichoke, Summer Sun, Ruby Red, Close to Cocoa.  Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Star pen.

Embellishments:  Olive and brown ribbon from stash, May Arts leaves ribbon.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, foam squares, glue dots.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug Paperlace II embossing folder set, Tim Holtz sanding block, Ranger blending tool, waterbrush.


These are the supplies for the swap cards:

Card Stock:  Neenah Desert Storm, Stampin' Up!  Chocolate Chip, Echo Park Playground Grass Stain, Echo Park Little Boy Lava.

Stamp:  Marks Finest Papers Autumn Splendor

Ink:  Stampin' Up! Chocolate Chip, Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Creamy Brown.

Markers:  Stampin' Up!  Stampin' Write Really Rust, Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Pie, Summer Sun, Always Artichoke, Old Olive, Close to Cocoa.  Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Star glitter pen.

Embellishments:  May Arts leaves ribbon, May Arts jute twine, American Crafts Premium Satin Ribbon.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Martha Stewart Score Board,Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug Paperlace II embossing folder set, Tim Holtz sanding block, Ranger blending tool, waterbrush.



I would like to enter my project into the following challenges:
  1. One Crazy Stamper - Anything goes
  2. Pile it On - Make it Sparkle
  3. The Pink Elephant - Favourite colouring medium (watercolour with markers).
  4. Paper Playtime - Autumn Colours
  5. Papertake Weekly - Anything goes.
  6. Everybody Art - Embossing
  7. The Ribbon Carousel - Fall spirit

13 comments:

  1. ...oh, and I almost forgot...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday... Eat lots of cake... Gorgeous cards... just beautiful.. Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh, love your fall card - what wonderful details and colors!!! Hope your birthday brings you lots of joy!!! Thanks for playing with us at One Crazy Stamper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very Beautiful!!!happy birthday!!!
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are so very pretty!! Thank you so very much for playing with us at Paper Playtime!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both cards are gorgeous! I love the texture you created by sanding over your embossing, and your watercoloring is beautiful. Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very gorgeous - really perfect for fall. Thanks so very much for joining us this week at the Pile it On Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Fall cards!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Pink Elephant this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Cathy!!!! :) What a wonderful post and grouping of cards!!!! Thanks so much for playing along with The Ribbon Carousel Crew

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy belated birthday! Gorgeous card too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://paperribbonthread.blogspot.ca/2012/11/happy-birthday-to-me-and-mfp-fall-card.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)