Saturday 22 February 2014

Get Inspired - Snow Drifts

Hi everyone!  Its Saturday which means its time for some cardmaking inspiration!


This week my inspiration does not come from Pinterest, can you believe it?  Over the last couple of weeks we've had quite a few snow storms.  As a result the snow banks and snow drifts are really high right now.  Thats where this picture comes from:


This was taken by my amazing cousin Cheryl.  I love the abstract shapes and how the snow kind of shimmers.  Here is what I came up with:






I used two Mark's Finest Papers stamp sets - Fairies on the outside, and Glad Glads on the inside.

The background came out really well, definitely something I will try again.  I created it by cutting a piece of vellum the right width for my card, but longer then what I would eventualy end up with. I brushed Tim Holtz Rock Candy Stickles entirely over the vellum and dried it with my heat gun.  When wet the vellum really wanted to curl on itself so next time I think I would just cover half of the vellum at a time so that I can dry it more easily without getting my fingers in the glue. Once dry the vellum had a nice uneven, almost crinkly texture.

I tore the sheet into strips, purposely tearing them in jagged pieces.  After dry embossing the base piece I overlapped the vellum strips, adhering with glue dots.  Normally glue dots show under vellum but I found that the combination of the 'stickled' vellum with the tiny bubbles embossing camouflaged the dots.

After finishing the background I assembled the rest of the card.  I decided to keep the fairy figure relatively monochromatic with the exception of lots of glitter, and some platinum ink around the edges. A bit of ribbon added a splash of colour, and some rhinestones added a final bit of sparkle.

I hope you have found my creation inspiring!  Don't forget to go to the Get Inspired page at MFP Speedy TV next week to see what MariLynn does with this image.  In the meantime have a look around you and see if anything inspires you.  Inspiration to create can come from anywhere!  Feel free to share your creations with us.  :)

If you are not a member of MFP Speedy TV, its a free social networking site focused on stamping and cardmaking with MFP stamps.  In additon to our column you will find lots of inspiration, including other informative columns on a daily basis, so why not click over and see what you are missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)