Thursday 31 October 2013

MFP 12 Days of Christmas Challenges - Day #10 Salt Dough Ornaments

Happy Halloween everyone!!  Today is Halloween, but instead of having something scary for you, I actually have some Christmas creations for you to enjoy!

For the last two weeks Mark's Finest Papers has been having it's annual 12 days of Christmas Challenges and today is day #10 featuring Salt Dough Ornaments.  These are really easy to make, and would make lovely gifts, gift tags, or decorations for your own home.  You can find Pat Garvin's step by step tutorial to make these ornaments here.

I had a lot of fun making these.  So much fun that I didn't stop at one:





Just a couple of notes of how I did my ornaments, I used water based markers to colour them, and also my water brush when colouring the background.  Also when stamping on the dough I did press the stamps into the dough gently to get a sort of letterpress effect.  If you decide to go this route make sure you only put just enough ink on the stamp to ensure your images are crisp.  If your stamp has too much ink and you press it into the dough like I did any extra ink will get transferred to the dough making it look a bit messy (ask me how I know, lol).

For these ornaments I used the stamp sets "Holiday Tag" and "You Are an Angel".

Also, if you are wondering why mine don't look quite as smooth and white as Pat's ornaments, I only had whole wheat flower to work with at the time. Whole wheat flower works just as well, it just gives a slightly different texture to the ornament.

I hope you try these easy ornaments out!  And if you decide to join into the challenge you can link your creation here.  I encourage you to share as there are prizes to be won!  A winner is being chosen from each day.  And that's not all! If you decide to participate in every challenge for this event, you could win a grand prize of $350 worth of Mark's Finest Papers stamps.  That could make for a crafty fun holiday season!  You have until November 11th to participate.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)