Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Use It Tuesday #45 Christmas/ Hanukkah

Welcome to the second Tuesday of December!  It's time for another Use it Tuesday challenge and with the holidays quickly approaching we are challenging you to make a Christmas or Hanukkah project with your hoarded items. Here is what I came up with:


When I saw the topic for this challenge I immediately knew what I would use as my hoarded item.  All of the patterned papers and most of the embellishments come from the Echo Park Dots and Stripes Christmas collection which I bought last year.  I bought the entire collection pack that included two sheets of stickers because I thought it would be so versatile during my Christmas card making, but I ended up only using one sheet.  Everytime I flipped through the papers I would think they were too pretty to cut.  Well this time I made myself cut 3 whole sheets!  And I used quite a few of the included stickers!  I am very proud of myself :)


Since the papers are so simple and pretty I decided to make a CAS card.  I started by choosing several patterns that I liked together, and a coordinating card base.  I chose the largest label from the sticker sheet and since I knew I would be putting it on foam tape I backed it with regular paper and trimmed it out.  I heat embossed my favourite tree stamp on it, then sized the rest of the patterned papers based on the size of the label.


Once sized, I layered the papers together, and added three banner stickers.  I foam taped the large label in place, then chose a sentiment sticker.  I also backed this with paper and trimmed it out, then adhered it over the label with foam squares.  As a final touch I added various sizes of clear rhinestones.  I love the tone on tone effect they have with the silver embossing.


For the inside of the card I layered the reverse sides of the sheets that I had already used on the front, then I added a tab sticker, and another label as a place for the sender to write their message.  One more sentiment sticker was added to complete the inside.

For a CAS card this took me forever to plot out because I just couldn't decide which papers I wanted to  use.  I'm glad I did though, I really like this card!  And now that I've gotten over the hump of just 'using' this set maybe I will use more of it in the rest of my Christmas cards!  Or, maybe  I'll save it until next year.....  ;)

Now its your turn!  Dig through your stash and find those unused holiday items to create a project. Don't limit your creativity, any holiday project will do!  Complete your project and link it up at Use it Tuesday by December 21st.  You could win a chance to participate in one of our challenges as a Guest Design Team member.

And remember -- please include your hoarded items in your blog post!  Forgetting this step will mean that you won't be considered for the draw!


Here are the items I used for my project:

Card Stock:  Stampin' Up!  Basic Grey, Echo Park Dots & Stripes Christmas.

Stamps:  Marks Finest Papers All is Calm.

Ink:  Versamark Watermark Ink.

Embossing Powder:  Stampin' Up!  Silver

Embellishments:  Scrappin' Supplies Rhinestones, Echo Park Dots & Stripes sticker sheet.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, foam squares.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, heat tool, Martha Stewart Score Board.


I would like to enter into the following challenges:
  1. Fussy and Fancy Friday - I love Christmas
  2. One Crazy Stamper - Sketch or Holiday
  3. Pile it On - Pile on the embellishments
  4. Paper Playtime - Christmas colours
  5. Pretty Little Ribbon - Christmas
  6. Ribbon Carousel - Holiday Spirit
  7. Ladybug Crafts Ink - Sparklicious
  8. Deep Ocean - So this is Christmas
  9. Songbird Challenges - Merry Christmas

10 comments:

Stephanie U said...

This is beautiful! I love all of your banners on the front.

Marjolaine said...

Gorgeous card Cathy, those trees look fabulous, especially with the gems on them!

Haven_mom4 said...

Stunning card, really like the embossed tree

Elaine said...


Thank you so much for joining us for “MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE ” challenge at
The Songbird Challenge Cathy , Merry Christmas from me and GOOD LUCK .
Hugs Elaine

brenda said...

A lovely crisp layout Cathy and very pretty Christmas card.

Thanks so much sharing with us at Pretty Little Ribbons challenge this month.

B x

Vic Lau said...

I love the silver embossed trees paired with the paper you've decided to use :)

butterfly said...

A sharp, smart, elegant CAS card - the silver looks great with the vivid red and green! Thanks for joining us at Fussy and Fancy.
Alison x

Sarah said...

This is such a sweet Christmas card.

Thanks for joining us at the Pretty Little Ribbon Shop Challenge,

Sarah x

Heather B said...

Cathy, I just love this card! I love the embossing over top of that sticker. Too cool. It inspires me to get into my stickers and use them!

Deanne Clarke-Saunders said...

A very pretty card! Thanks for participating in our PILE IT ON challenge!!

~DEANNE~