Wednesday, 11 July 2012

A Diamond Anniversary

I'm currently on vacation but my husband and son decided to take a nap, so I am taking the opportunity to post this card. :)

This week has been a special one for me. I was adopted at birth, and this past weekend I traveled to meet and spend time with my biological father and his family. Exciting as that was, his parents - my grandparents - were having their 60th wedding anniversary celebration as well. This is the card I made:


Of course I wanted to make this card special, so I started with one of my favourite paper packs from Kaisercraft called Bonjour. I chose a sheet with various postmarks that were embossed with silver, it is not just silver though - you can't see it in the picture but the metallic embossing has a multi-coloured sheen to it. I chose a crown pattern and die cut to go with the base piece, and also some coordinating card stock and ribbon.


After trimming and scoring my card base, I cut the base pattern to the size I wanted and matted with some white. I cut a band of the crown pattern and inked all three pieces and the card base with some olive green. I adhered the white and the patterns together and added some lovely green vintage seam binding. I love working with seam binding, the bows always look so nice. After adhering the panel to the card front, I heat embossed the die cut with a sentiment and inked the edges with more green. The piece was adhered with foam squares over the ribbon, and as the 60th is the diamond anniversary I added some gemstones.


For embellishment I used a kraft paper flower I had made previously (you can find the original project here). I happened to have made an extra and I must say I love these flowers so much I may make a whole bunch so they are ready to go when I need them. Also, I love the gemstone in the center - it is very sparkly and diamond-like. I had already inked the flower with some pink so I just added some green around the bottom layers. Once the big flower was adhered I felt more was needed so I added the green Prima flowers, which also had gems in the middle.


I also decided to use a butterfly image from the same stamp set that the sentiment came from. I coloured it with a pale pink shade, cut out the image and inked the edges with green ink.Once adhered to the card front I added more gemstones.  I also added foam squares under the wings to help them stay raised.


To the center of the card I added some inked white card stock and stamped the sentiment n green.  I coloured in all of the enclosed letters with glitter pen. 


I put a lot of thought into this card and I was really pleased with the result.  I felt so honoured  have been invited to the anniversary event, and I hope that my feelings show in this card. :)

I used the following supplies:

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up! Crumb Cake, Whisper White. Kaisercraft 6.5x6.5 paper pad Bonjour.

Stamps:  Mark's Finest Papers Today Tomorrow and Always, Stampin' Up! Congrats.

Ink:  Colour Box Fluid Chalk Ink Olive Pastel, Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic R20, Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Star, Versamark Watermark Ink, Stampin' Up!  embossing powder Silver.

Embellishments:  May Arts Vintage Seam Binding Moss Green, Stampin' Up Basic Jewels Rhinestones, Prima Flowers Melisse Nature Green.

Adhesive:  Scotch ATG, Zots, foam Squares.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Tim Holtz sanding block, sponge, Stamp-a-ma-jig


I am entering into the followng challenges:
  1. Deep Ocean - Sea of Love
  2. Moving Along with the Times - Make it Sentimental
  3. Simon Says Stamp and Show - Layered
  4. Party Time Tuesday - Lets get Punchy

7 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

Beautiful card for a very special couple on their special day ..
Thanks for joining us at MAWTT this week
Lisa x

Tess Davis said...

WOW! So gorgeous!!!!

Anna-Karin said...

Such a special card for a very special occasion. Love the kraft flower, the awesome embossing and the beautiful design. Thank you for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

Sue said...

Wow! this is gorgeous Cathy!! I love the pretty papers and embellishments! it must really be a very special week for you and I'm sure they loved your card!
Thanks for joining us at MAWTT and Good Luck in the Challenge!
Big Hugs
Sue xx

~♥~The Navy Wife~♥~ said...

Oooohhhh love the details in this! It is so pretty in every way! Thank you for sharing and playing along with us at MAWTT :)

Shirley said...

Beautiful card Cathy. I am sure that they loved it.
Shirley xx

Mau xx said...

This is Beautiful Cathy, I love the colours and embellishments.
I am sure they must have been thrilled with it.Best Wishes to them xx
Thanks for sharing with MAWTT
Hugs Mau xx