Monday, 4 June 2012

'Bee' Happy - Craft Your Passion Challenge #113

I'm so exited - this is my first post for Craft Your Passion as a Guest Design Team member for June!

For this week, the challenge was to use chevrons.  An Inspiration photo was also provided:


Very pretty!  And how lucky I was that I have the perfect washi tape for such a project - from My Minds Eye Indie Chic collection.  Here is what I came up with:


Once I decided on the pattern, I had to decide on an image.  Since I got to choose from images provided by the sponsor of this week's challenge Delicious Doodles the most difficult part was just picking one (I have never been known to be a decisive person).  After some consideration I chose "Bee and Flower".  So cute!

I started with some kraft cardstock cut and scored to a standard A2 size. After corner rounding the bottom corners I added my tissue tape vertically strip by strip, matching the pattern as I went along, kind of like you would match up wall paper.  I left the bottom of each strip jagged and uneven as I thought this would allow for some interest.  For the same reason I lifted the strips on either end and tore them lengthwise before replacing them in their alloted spaces.  To add contrast I placed two strips of yellow tape with polka dots horizontally about a third of the way from the bottom.  Since the tape is semi-transparent you can still see a bit of the chevron through the yellow. I really like the effect.

Since this was my first card for Craft Your Passion I wanted to do something a little different and special, so I pulled some Stampin' Up! transparencies from my stash.  I've been hoarding these sheets forever but I thought they would be fun here, particularly the one with foliage on it.  To hide the adhesive I first attached the sheet to the card with Zots placed at either end of the yellow tape, since I knew I  would be putting ribbon or twine over that spot.  After the rest of the elements were added I carefully lifted the transparency and added more Zots under each so that the sheet was more secure.



I added some baker's twine and placed some Prima flowers over the foliage.  I heat embossed the sentiment on a banner cut strip of kraft and  corner rounded the opposite end.  The sentiment was adhered with foam squares.  Once this was done it was time to work with my image.



I was slightly nervous about this part as I have rarely worked with digi images, but I'm all for learning new things so I googled some instructions and got to work.  I printed the image on 120# cardstock and heat set it to minimize smudging.  I then coloured the image and added some Sakura glitter pen.  My original intention was to only add glitter to the wings, but then I added some to the antennae, then I thought some might look nice around the face, and then before I knew it, all of the black was covered in glitter.  Thats ok, I like glitter!  Once my image was finished I cut it out with some detail scissors and placed on my card with foam squares.



On the inside of the card I heat embossed the matching sentiment and added a touch of glitter pen to the letters.  Since the cardfront is fairly busy (like a bee maybe, lol) I decided that further decoration wasn't necessary.



This was a really fun card to make.  I love the combination of the chevrons with the flowers and the bakers twine, and I love the shine of the transparency, and the leaves under the flowers.  Best of all, I really love the little bee - she's so cute!  I think it is fair to say that I am over my fear of digi images - I foresee more projects with them in the future!  :)


I used the following products:

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up!  Crumb Cake.  Gina K Designs Pure Luxury 120# Pure White.

Stamps: Delicious Doodles Bee and Flower (digi), Stampin' Up! Petite Pairs.

Ink:  Versamark Watermark Ink, Martha Stewart Bright White Embossing Powder.

Markers:  Bic Mark Its Fandango Pink, Sunset Orange, Pink Flamingo Peach Parfait, Yellow Blaze, Forest Green.  Copic W5, W3.

Embellishments:  My Minds Eye Indie Chic Paper Tape, Prima Flowers Mellisse Nature Garden, We R Memory Keepers Sew Easy Bakers Twine Blueberry, Sakura Gelly Roll Clear Stardust. Stampin' Up! Clearly Thanks printed window sheets.

Adhesive:  Zots, Foam Squares.

Other tools:  Paper Trimmer, scissors, bone folder We R Memory Keeper Corner Chomper.


I am also entering the following challenges:
  1. The Paper Shelter - Vintage or shabby chic
  2. Charisma Cardz - Bling
  3. Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes


4 comments:

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

Beautiful card! Love the chevrons, that cute bee and the pretty flowers!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Hugs...
Melissa

Vee said...

So sweet.Thanks for playing with Charisma this week.
xx Vee

Marie said...

A very lovely creation. Looks fabby! Thanks for joining us over at the Paper Shelter this week. Good luck with the challenge.
Love n hugs
Marie

xxxtglxxx said...

Cute card, this made me smile! :)

Thanks so much for playing at Charisma Cardz this week,

hugs

xxalisonxx