Sunday 8 April 2012

More Belated Birthday Wishes

With the second birthday card I started with the background.



I used the waxed paper technique, which I have heard of but never seen demonstrated before until I saw the technique on a Stamp TV video.


I thought this technique looked really fun so I started with some white cardstock and went to work.  Once ironed with the waxed paper I was surprised at how smooth the cardstock still was.  I had expected it to have some texture to it, but it doesn't at all.

I chose some Colorbox chalk inks that I thought would work well together - two shades of brown and one of pink.  I didn't add all of the inks directly to the paper like in the video.  Instead I added the light brown direct to paper, then added the dark brown and pink with a Ranger blending tool. I found this a bit easier since the chalk ink pads are so juicy, with the blending tool I could add the ink where I wanted it more easily. I love these inks because they are so colourful and soft looking at the same time. I think the background almost looks like old plaster. Here is a close up:



Once the background was done it was time to choose stamps and coordinating patterned paper.  I had the Graphic 45 stamp picked out, and as I was searching through my patterned paper stash I came across this sheet with postmarks all over it from Fancy Pants Designs.  I thought the colours and pattern would be perfect.

I stamped the image in the darker brown on white cardstock, and sponged the edges with both shades of brown. Once the image and background were mounted on black, I mounted the image on a larger square of the pattern which had also been sponged with the darker brown.  I added some Prima ribbon and twine to the background panel, then foam taped the image over the ribbon.  The whole panel was adhered to a base of kraft and the card front was complete.  I considered adding glitter or gems, but in the end I decided there was so much ink and sponging that it wasn't necessary.

I finished the inside with a panel of white sponged with the same two shades of brown, and a couple of scraps from the other papers.


The sentiment actually consists of two stamps.  The little "(a little late!)" stamp certainly comes in handy, and it is small enough to add to cards that are already finished if I ever need to.

I really love how the entire card turned out.  I will definitely use the waxed paper technique again. :)

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges:
  1. Deep Ocean - Use More Than One Stamp
  2. Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes
  3. Pile it On - All About 's'

I used the following supplies:

Cardstock:  Stampin' Up! Whisper White, Basic Black.  Recollections Kraft.  Fancy Pants Designs Its the Little Things 6x6 Paper Pad.  Waxed paper - grocery store brand.

Stamps:  Stampin' Up! On Your Birthday, Bitty Birthday.  Hampton Art Graphic 45 Paris Postage.

Ink:  Colorbox Fluid Chalk ink Chestnut Roan, Creamy Brown, Rouge.

Ribbon:  Prima Ribbon, hemp twine from stash.

Adhesive:  Tombow Mono Adhesive Runner Permanent, Foam Squares

Tools:  Paper trimmer, scissors, household iron, Ranger Non-stick Craft Sheet, Ranger Inksentials Blending Tool, foam applicators, sponge, bone folder.

2 comments:

  1. Another brilliant background. What a great technique. May have to pop back and look at this again when I have some time! Lovely card xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute creation! Thanks for sharing it with us at Deep Ocean this forthnight.

    Hugs, Franz.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)