Monday 14 January 2013

Mark's Finest Papers January Sneak Peak!

Hi Everyone!  I can't believe its time for another release of stamps at Mark's Finest Papers but never the less here we are!  Today some of us DT members are showing you the mini set and extra set that is being released this month.

The mini set is a cute one called "Not So Ugly":


I think this would be a great set to make a 'pick me up' card for a friend or loved one.  This is what I came up with:



The swan made me think of elegance so I decided to stick with a black and white theme.  I first stamped the image on white card stock and trimmed it out.  I only added colour to the beak.  I wanted the black part of the beak to sweep more toward the eye like a real swan, so I added a touch more black with a marker.


With the swan image finished I chose coordinating patterns and a card base, trimmed everything down, adhered it together and added some ribbon.  The swan was foam taped over the ribbon.  I stamped the sentiment, banner cut the ends and adhered it with foam tape slightly thicker than that used with the swan.


Finally I added rhinestones randomly across the front, and on the swan's feathers.  For the centre I used a similar pattern, and white card stock matted with black.  I stamped another sentiment on the white panel.



I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:

  1. One Crazy Stamper - Anything Goes
  2. Pause Dream Enjoy - Use Ribbon
  3. Songbird Challenges - Black + One Other Colour

The second set I'm showing you today is the extra set called "Oh Baby".  Who doesn't need a baby themed stamp set in their stash?  It has some really cute images and sentiments:


Here is what I came up with:


I was lucky enough to receive a Cricut Mini from my husband for Christmas.  I didn't even ask for one, he just said that when he saw it he thought I would think it's fun. He's a smart guy.  :)  When I made this card I decided to use one of the free images that comes with the software.


I cut the card by bringing up two onesie images in the Cricut Craftroom software, flipping one image 180 degrees and welding the images at the shoulder.  It was really easy to cut one card in pink and one in blue.  I also cut two ovals from cream card stock with the machine.


I stamped the duckie images on the ovals and coloured them using alcohol markers and a Copic Blender.  I didn't want the images to be completely saturated with colour, so I chose to just outline the images with my marker and blend with the blender pen.  It didn't turn out quite as blended as I wanted, but I like the final result.  It kind of reminds me of images in a vintage story book.


I inked the edges of the oval, and stamped sentiments on inked cream scraps with banner cut ends. I added coordinating washi tape to each card and adhered the ovals with foam tape.  Twine and the sentiments were added over the ovals, and a few pearls.  Two smaller pearls were added to one shoulder to look like buttons.


One great things about clear stamps is that you can cut them apart if you need to.  Do I hear a gasp?   Lol, I know it sounds like a strange thing to do to your stamps, but it is a great way to get more use out of the stamps you have. They easily trim apart, and if you want to use them together again you simply reassemble on your stamping block.  Easy peasy!


I bring this up because I cut apart one of the stamps to use in the centre of the card.  I originally was going to use the 'Baby in the tub' verse in its entirety, but it didn't quite fit the onesie shape.  I really liked the sentiment though, so I cut the 'Little Treasure' saying apart from the bottom and heat embossed it in the centre of each. I really like the result.

What do you think?  Do you love these sets as much as I do?  If so check back tomorrow to see the rest of the sets being released this month.  You won't be disappointed!


I would like to enter these cards into the following challenges:

  1. Allsorts - Dies and Punches
  2. Creative Corner Challenges - Cute as a button
  3. Papertake Weekly - Happy New


I used the following supplies on my cards:

Card Using "Not So Ugly":

Card Stock:  Gina K Designs Pure Luxury Pure White, Onyx Black.  My Mind's Eye Meadow Lark 6x6 pad.

Stamps:  Mark's Finest Papers Not So Ugly

Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black

Markers:  Stampin' Up! Only Orange, black marker from stash.

Embellishments:  May Arts Seam Binding, Recollections rhinestones.

Adhesive: Scotch ATG, foam tape, glue dots.

Tools:  Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Martha Stewart scoring board.


Cards Using "Oh Baby":

Card Stock:  Gina K Designs Bubblegum Pink, Littleboy Blue, Stampin' Up!  Very Vanilla.

Stamps:  Mark's Finest Papers  Oh Baby.

Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black, Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink Creamy Brown.

Embossing Powder:  Martha Stewart Clear Glaze

Markers:  Bic Mark Its Yellow Blaze, Summer Melon, Copic 0

Cricut Cartridge: Basic Finds and Shapes

Embellishments:  May Arts Jute Twine, peachycheap.com washi tape, Stampin' Up Basic Jewels Basic Pearls.

Adhesive:  Foam tape, glue dots.

Tools: Paper trimmer, bone folder, scissors, Martha Stewart scoring board, Cricut Mini, Ranger Blending Tool.

10 comments:

  1. Cathy, wow your swan card is just wonderful! Love the elegance of the Black & White, great card!

    Thank you for joining us at One Crazy Stamper this month, good luck!

    Hugs;
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a Gorgeous Swan Card!!Love it!
    Thanks for joining us at PDE "Use Ribbon" Challenge.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Migdalia
    PDE DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded a onesie template but never found the time to make the card. It was one I had in my head so well done on getting two done! You have managed to make the swan work too in simple black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful creation! Thanks for playing at PTW! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your swan card is beautiful and elegant and I really like the added little gems for some sparkle. Your baby onesie cards are so, so adorable - how perfect for those new babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards. Thanks for joining us at Allsorts this week. Tracyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card, love the black and white combination, so elegant. Thanks for joining us at Songbird and good luck.
    Hugs Sue W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely gorgeous baby cards
    thanks a lot for playing along at Creative Corner Challenges


    Love Mel DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the elegant swan card and the sweet baby onesie cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. super pretty! love them both. great details. Thanks for playing along at One Crazy Stamper!!
    cheers!
    Jacilynn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)