Sunday 13 November 2011

Two For the Price of One - A Snowman Duo.

Its getting closer and closer to Christmas and with that thought I think I will post two cards today. :)

I was on a big blue and white with snowflakes kick for a bit and so my next holiday card looks similar to the first, but most of the techniques I used were quite different.



I started out with Pink Paislee's Mistables paper.  I love this stuff!  It features many neutral office-like backgrounds like the text I used above, or old ledgers, backs of envelopes, sheets with writing, etc. and it has a clear pattern embossed over it.  The fun thing about this is when you use paint, ink, and mist sprays over the paper the clear pattern reveals itself.  Also, the paper is quite thick so it will hold up to a lot of inks and sprays without warping too much.  So much fun to play with!

With this first attempt I used Tattered Angels "Winter Wishes" set.  I cut the Mistables to 4" by 3.75" and sprayed it with the three colours included in the mist set followed by the included clear coat.  After waiting a bit I wiped the excess off of the embossed parts so that it would stand out nicely against the shimmery background. 

While I waited for that to dry I cut a piece of navy cardstock to 5.5" by 8.5", scoring at 4.25" and folding.  I sprayed the side facing out with the same Tattered Angels clear coat which also has some shimmer in it.  The gray was cut to 5.25" by 4".  I sanded the edges, and then inked with navy ink.

I sprayed some white cardstock with the clear shimmer spray as well, and stamped my image. I punched the image out with a matching tag punch, and I punched some snowflakes from the same cardstock.  I inked the edges of the snow flakes with navy and added some rhinestones.

By now I was a bit impatient so I finished drying the Mistables with my heat gun.  I sanded the edges a bit and attached it to the gray cardstock.  Once knotting and adding the ribbon, I attached the snow flakes with foam squares, added a brad to the tag, and attached the tag with more foam squares.  The whole thing was attached to the card front.

I love this card because it is so shimmery, and the text makes it interesting.  The sparkle is difficult to see in the above picture so here is another view:


Still a bit difficult to see, but if you look close you can see a bit of the shimmer, and some of the drop marks made by the spray.  This was a really fun card to make.

Here are the supplies I used:

Cardstock:  Stampin Up! Night of Navy, Whisper White, Basic Gray.  Pink Paislee Mistables.

Ink: Stampin Up! Night of Navy, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Winter Wishes set which includes: Moonlight, Frost, Spring Violet, and Glacier.

Stamp Set: Stampin Up! Christmas Punch.

Embellishments: Recollections brads (Michaels), Basic Jewels Rhinestones, Offray ribbon in gray.

Adhesive: Tombow Mono adhesive runner, Zots, Foam squares.

Tools:  Stampin Up!  Snow Blossom punch (retired), Extra Large Tag punch, Fiskars paper trimmer, sandpaper, heat gun.


I must have had snow flakes and snowmen on my mind because I put more on my next card.  Actually the real inspiration for this card was that I wanted to see if I could make a pretty holiday card with just black and white.


I started out by making my own shimmer spray using a few drops of  Tsukineko All Purpose Ink in Frost White with rubbing alcohol, and spraying on black cardstock.  I cut the cardstock to 8.5" by 5.5" and scored and folded at 4.25".

I cut a white piece of cardstock to 5" by 3.75" and inked the edges with black ink.  I cut a black piece of cardstock to 4.75" by 3.5 and stamped snowflakes in a random pattern with Versamark ink, and embossed with white embossing powder.  I inked the edges with white ink.

A final piece of white cardstock was 2.75" by 1.75".  I corner rounded the edges and stamped the image and inked the edges with black.  I added some iridescent glitter, and attached some ribbon to the back.  Once adding silver brads I adhered this to the black snowflake pattern with foam squares, the black pattern was attached to the white, and the whole thing was adhered to the card front.

I love how this card turned out.  This is not a normal colour combination I would go with and I find it festive despite the black.  I usually colour or water colour the snowman image but the glitter looks so snowy - here is a close up:


If you can't tell by now, I love snowflakes and snowmen so I really enjoyed making these two cards.  I hope the people who receive them enjoy them as much as I did!

Here are the supplies I used for the second card:

Cardstock:  Stampin Up! Basic Black, Whisper White.

Ink: Stazon Jet Black, Versamark Watermark Ink, Martha Stewart Bright White embossing powder. Stampin Up! Whisper White craft ink, Tsukineko All Purpose Ink Frost White (I purchased this from Stampin Up! as shimmer paint, but I've seen it on other websites as well)

Stamp sets: Stampin Up! Wishing You Cheer (retired), Snow Burst (retired).

Embellishments: Recollections Brads (Michaels), Celebrate It Basic Narrow gross grain black ribbon, Stampin Up! Dazzling Diamonds Glitter.

Adhesive: Tombow Mono adhesive runner, foam squares, Stampin Up! two way glue pen.

Tools: Fiskars paper trimmer, We R Memory Keepers corner rounder punch, sponge, Ranger mini mister, heat gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! I read them all and appreciate every word! :)